CircleCI is seeking its first Database Reliability Engineer to work closely with our Site Reliability and Software Engineers to deliver and manage the high-performance and scalable data persistence layer underlying our multi-tenant Cloud offering as well as our Server-installed, on-premises solution. You will not only have the chance to automate and optimize infrastructure through the construction of appropriate tooling, but you will help software engineers through the design phase to select, design, and optimize the data persistence for their services.
CircleCI uses multiple datastores to support its platform, including Postgres, Mongo, and Redis.
Velocity is critical for software teams in today's competitive landscape, but maintaining speed can be difficult as apps and systems grow larger and more complex. CircleCI’s platform allows developers to rapidly release code (for web and mobile apps) they trust by automating the build, test, and deploy process. CircleCI enables developers to detect and fix bugs before they even reach customers. Thousands of leading companies including Facebook, Kickstarter, Shyp and Spotify rely on CircleCI to accelerate delivery of their code and enable developers to focus on creating business value fast.
CircleCI is a Bay Area Best Places to Work 2016 award winner. Founded in 2011 and headquartered in beautiful downtown San Francisco with a global remote workforce, CircleCI is venture backed by Scale Venture Partners, DFJ, Baseline Ventures and Harrison Metal Capital.
What will make you successful:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the internal workings of at least one of Postgres, Mongo, Redis
- A collaborative approach to aiding software engineers in the development of fast and reliable data-driven applications
- Deep understanding of the tradeoffs in datastore selection and the implications for application design
- Passion for modern software development and operation, including agile, CI/CD, and infrastructure-as-code
- Experience managing large-scale database systems in a cloud environment
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- Proficiency in one or more of: C, C++, Java, Python, Go
- A strong desire for continuous improvement
- 8+ years of experience
What you will do:
- Design and deliver solutions to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of CircleCI’s data storage layer
- Engage in datastore capacity planning and demand forecasting, anticipating performance bottlenecks
- Diagnose and resolve production issues in conjunction with software engineering teams
- Architect and implement tooling used by all services within the CircleCI platform, for both SaaS and on-prem configurations
- Support and advise software engineering teams in the design of scalable services
- Participate in rotating on-call duties, including incident management
- Define the requirements for a growing discipline of DBRE at CircleCI
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and let us know why you’d be a great fit for our team. If you contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusivity. We’re hiring at all experience levels, and seek talented teammates from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who are equally committed to cultivating a work environment of respect and kindness. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply.