More than 4 million users and 70,000 paying customers depend on Buffer, and we’re grateful to work every day developing intuitive features to make their experience better. We’re looking for a backend or full-stack web product developer to join our Publish Product Engineering team. Are you interested in implementing new ideas and building helpful, easy-to-use social media software? We’d love to have you join us!
Buffer is an equal opportunity employer with teammates all around the world. We are actively working to create an inclusive environment and value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds.
Our team is made up of developers who hail from startups to the theatre - we're united by Buffer's values, and we celebrate our unique differences.
As a Product Engineer at Buffer, you will be:
- Supporting our Buffer Publish product, building new product features, working autonomously to write and scale new services as we transition to micro-services and maintaining the core API.
- Helping us with an exciting transition! We are currently transitioning from a PHP backend monolith with Backbone.js and React.js, to a service-oriented architecture with micro-services built in Node.js or Go and React components on the frontend.
- Working within our product engineering teams, collaborating with product managers, designers, data analysts, customer advocates, engineering managers and more using tools like GitHub, Zoom, email, Discourse, Slack and Jira.
- As you gain context, you’ll be providing technical guidance to teammates as a peer.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- You have experience as a backend or full-stack developer in any procedural language, working on backend systems with meaningful production traffic.
- You are keen to write and maintain tests where needed and appreciate the importance of working effectively with legacy codebases.
- You have a proactive mindset toward fixing and responding to any issues and integrating feedback.
- Experience working with PHP, or Node.js or Go would be helpful.
- Experience building micro-services with Kubernetes would be helpful.
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer's cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here's a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
- 💻 Technology: Get hooked up with a laptop to do your best work.
- 🎼 Learning & development stipend: To encourage our teammates to be their best selves, we offer a small stipend for any course or training they'd like to do.
- 🤒 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US based.
- 💰 Salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $85k - $114k per year.
- 🏝 Work remotely: Live and work from wherever you feel happiest.
- 📈 Stock options: Joining the Buffer journey means you can choose to own part of the company.
- ⛺️ Unlimited time off: Our only policy is that you give yourself a break regularly.
- ✈️ Retreats: Join us on annual international company retreats! Our last retreat was in Madrid, Spain.
- 📚 Free books (and Kindle): All you can read, no questions asked.
- 🍼 Family Leave: If your family grows during your time at Buffer, we recommend taking anywhere from 1-3 months of family leave, regardless of when you joined.
Where You'll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product. You'll work where you're happiest and most productive, in the place that helps you to become the person you wish to be.
Here’s a tentative hiring timeline for this role:
March 5-April 13: Apply to join our team!
April 16-27: We’ll spend time reviewing applications.
April 30-May 18: Follow-up interviews with the team.